Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog, this is where I shall be sharing with you whatever it is that I would like to share, mostly it will be stories/poems/things I have written, but could be book reviews, book hauls, any sort of thing like that, could also be a daily update from myself.

-Craig

Saturday 18 January 2014

Writing

As you guys should know from my posts up here, I'm a wannabe writer and storyteller read my previous posts for more info, I thought I'd talk a little about what I'm doing, for those who are interested and for me to look back at in the future to see what I was up to as a 17 year old wannabe writer.

Last month I discovered the writing application called Scrivener, it's a little on the expensive side, but it's for Windows and for Mac, which is good as I exclusively use Windows but I do have the option if I want to swap.

It's sort of just changed my whole process with writing, I'm a lot more of a planner and an outliner than I was just using good old Word and it's a lot more fun for me using Scrivener. If you don't know about it, I highly recommend watching videos about it, and getting the free trial if you're into writing or if you've got a long school project to do, I wrote a History project on it, it needed several chapters, so I figured it'd be easier on Scrivener than on something like Word, which does not have the same ability to plan and to have outlines as Scrivener.

The main idea of Scrivener is to have all of your writing resources at your fingertips, having the basic word editor, with an outline window, which shows all of the chapters, all of the text documents etc, there is also the corkboard, which shows text boxes for each of the folders or text documents you have and can look at in the default viewer, and there is also a continuous viewer as well which allows you to scroll through everything you've written, despite it being in separate folders.

For this new project, which I am calling Fires of Industry, I am using a plan that I've come up with a 3 act plan, with 5 chapters per act (although in this case act 2 has 6) with 3 scenes per chapter, which is how I've set it up, it's how I've planned all of the titles and content and things and it's going well, I've written the first chapter, and I'm half way through chapter 2 of act 1, anyway. I'll post a little about the story in future, but I just want to show and explain this glorious software that I've found.
-Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment